The kids are out of school for the summer so at the Geek Dad HQ we’re going to be doing a lot of smart and fun activities that won’t break the bank. First up is conquering the afternoon snake with a quick lessing in “from scratch” microwave cooking! Today the kids are going to learn the classic five minute chocolate mug cake!
First up is the list of our software, we’re going to need this for each mug cake:
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons oil
- A small splash of vanilla extract
For our hardware we will need
- 1 large coffee mug
- 1 microwave
- Measuring spoons
The process is as follows and does take a bit of supervision but my 5 year old was able to measure everything except the vanilla herself.
- Add all the dry ingredients to mug and mix well.
- Add the egg to the mixed dry ingredients and mix well again.
- Add the milk and the oil and mix well one more time.
- And vanilla extract, and yup, mix it up again.
- Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 2 to 3 minutes at 1000 watts.
My 17 year old 1000 watt microwave took about 2:20 second to cook the cake. While cooking the cake will really rise, don’t be alarmed! When done, allow it to cool a little which will take a long time if you leave it in the mug so feel free to tip it out onto a plate if desired.
One last note, you can add almost anything to the batter, try experimenting. Add some chocolate chips, freeze dried coffee, or nuts to liven it up. Put it in a bowl and serve it with ice cream, chocolate sause and whipped cream. Have fun!